How to Request a Withdrawal After the Drop Deadline

University Policy

Students are permitted to withdraw from a course(s), after the drop deadline, for non-academic reasons only (e.g., a medical emergency, family crisis, or sudden/significant change in employment responsibilities.) Students who wish to withdraw must submit the following to the CHSS Office of Graduate Academic Affairs:

  1. A request explaining the conditions that necessitated the need to withdraw from the course(s). Requests will be accepted by  e-mail ( via the student's GMU email account.
  2. Documentation (e.g., medical records, statement from employer/supervisor) to support the conditions and contact information for individuals involved (e.g., physician, employer/supervisor).

Once the request and required documentation is received, the instructor(s) will be contacted to ascertain whether or not the student is in good academic standing. If the student is not in good academic standing, the request will be denied. If the request is approved, the appropriate paperwork will be sent directly to the Registrar's Office.

Students should continue to attend class until the withdrawal request has been approved and sent to the Registrar by the CHSS Dean's Office. Cessation in attending class may adversely affect the student's standing in class and result in a denial of the withdrawal request.

The Registrar's Office will only process a withdrawal request if the Office of Student Accounts verifies that there are no holds or unpaid charges on the student's account. The university does not refund tuition when a student voluntarily withdraws from a course after the drop deadline. 

All materials should be directed to:
College of Humanities and Social Sciences
4400 University Drive, MS 3A3
Fairfax, VA 22030