How to Apply to a CHSS Graduate Program
Applications to graduate programs within the College of Humanities and Social Sciences are processed by the University's Office of Graduate Admissions.
For the most successful application experience, we encourage you to follow these steps:
√ Review Application Requirements
Explore our graduate programs and learn more about the application process. Consider:
- Are you eligible to be considered for graduate study at Mason? What are the university's admissions standards?
- What is the application deadline? Does the program accept applications for spring?
- How many letters of recommendation are required?
- Does the program have specific instructions for preparing the goals statement?
- Are standardized test scores like the GRE required? When are tests offered? (NOTE: GRE scores are valid for only five years from original test date.)
- Do you hold international academic credentials? If so, review the admissions requirements for international students. You may be required to submit additional documentation to complete your application.
√ Use the Correct Application
- Mason has transitioned to a new online application system. Start the application process by visiting the Office of Graduate Admissions website.
√ Apply by the Deadline
- Submit your application online on or before the deadline. Departments may not review applications submitted after the deadline.
√ Submit Official Documents
You may submit your final transcripts electronically or via postal mail.
- Electronic submission (This is the fastest and preferred method)
Please contact your previous institution(s) or university registrar for more information. Many colleges and universities are able to send official electronic transcripts using secure encryption services such as Parchment or National Student Clearinghouse. Following their directions for submission, please have the transcripts sent to email@example.com.
- For postal mail
Please contact your previous institution(s) and have transcripts sent to the address below, exactly as it is written. Only transcripts submitted in sealed, university issued envelopes are acceptable.
George Mason University
Office of Graduate Admissions
MSN-4C8- Official Transcript Submission
4400 University Drive
Fairfax, VA 22030
Graduate Certificate Students
Applicants to graduate certificate programs should refer to Applying to a Graduate Certificate.
Applicants for non-degree graduate study apply online. Information about non-degree study.