Applying for Non-Degree Graduate Study
If you hold an undergraduate degree, you may be eligible to take graduate classes that may later be transferred to a degree program. Prospective students apply for non-degree graduate study online using the Application for Graduate Study.
CHSS Graduate Non-Degree Deadlines
||June 15, 2022
||August 15, 2021
||January 12, 2022
Review Non-Degree Application Requirements
- Applicants are required to indicate course(s) of interest on the application. In addition to department and program approval, some courses will require instructor approval prior to enrollment.
- Non-degree applications are processed centrally by the University's Office of Graduate Admissions. Questions about non-degree applications and deadlines should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Check Restricted Fields
- While many graduate courses are open to non-degree students, some fields are restricted to students in degree programs. Review the list of restricted fields before applying for non-degree study.
- Anthropology: ANTH 535, ANTH 536, ANTH 650.
- Communication: COMM 600, COMM 650. Permission of the instructor is required for 700-level courses.
- Cultural Studies: Graduate-level Cultural Studies courses are unavailable to non-degree students.
- Economics: Graduate-level courses are available to non-degree students only with the approval of the course instructor.
- English: Graduate-level Creative Writing courses require the permission of either the program director or the instructor of a specific course. Samples of original creative work will be required before such permission is granted.
- Psychology: Graduate course enrollment in Psychology for non-degree students is welcome, but must be approved by the instructor in advance. This is likely appropriate for numerous 500- and 600-level courses (and only a few at the 700-level or above), as long as the student has the required prerequisites or equivalent. The following (clinical assessment and intervention) courses are unavailable to non-degree students: Psyc 709, 710, 722, 750, 751,790, 810, 811, 816, 822, 823, 831, 832, 851, 860, 862, 881, 883, 885, 888.
Non-degree students are ineligible to take 800-level courses in any CHSS program.
Resources: Non-Degree Graduate Study