College of Humanities and Social Sciences
College of Humanities and Social Sciences

How to Appeal an Academic or Timelimit Termination

All students should be familiar with the university policy on termination from a graduate program.

The CHSS Termination Appeal Committee meets once each semester (February, June, and September) to review appeals. Students wishing to appeal should submit the following to the CHSS Office of Graduate Academic Affairs:

  1. A written statement explaining the circumstances that led to the termination, along with supporting documentation from employers, physicians, or other sources as necessary.
  2. Evidence that the circumstances precipitating the unsatisfactory performance have been remedied.
  3. Statements from the advisor and graduate program director supporting the student’s continued enrollment at the university.

The appeal and supporting documentation must be received by the date indicated in the termination letter or email. If the required materials are not received by the deadline, the termination will become effective immediately and the Registrar will be instructed to amend the student’s graduate record accordingly.

All materials should be directed to:

Robert Matz, Senior Associate Dean
College of Humanities and Social Sciences
4400 University Drive, MS 3A3
Fairfax, VA 22030

Requests may also be submitted via e-mail to or faxed to 703.993.8714.

Print Friendly and PDF