How to Request Permission to Study Elsewhere

Once students are admitted to George Mason University, they are expected to take their coursework at Mason. However, there are some circumstances in which it is appropriate for students to take a course at another institution.

Students interested in taking a course at another institution and applying those credits towards a George Mason University degree should first review the university policies governing study elsewhere and transfer credits.

University Policy

Request to Study Elsewhere Form

Students should meet with their advisor or Graduate Program Director to discuss Mason equivalency for the course they intend to take. They will need to provide all relevant course information including a syllabus if available and other relevant information from the host institution (e.g., course description). Only in cases where a student cannot physically attend a course at Mason will a request to take course elsewhere be considered.

Students must complete a Request to Study Elsewhere form before enrolling in the course.

After obtaining all necessary program approvals on the form, it should be forwarded to the CHSS Office of Graduate Academic Affairs. If approved by the dean, the form will be sent to the Registrar's Office for processing. Once the course has been completed, the student must request an official transcript showing the final grade to ube sent to the Registrar's Office for final posting to the student's record.

Students interested in taking a course offered at a university that is part of the Washington Consortium of Universities should see the college page on enrolling in a consortium course.