Doctoral Graduation Checklist Summer 2023
The following checklist will help to guide you through the process of completing the requirements for degree conferral. You should refer to the Registrar's graduation website and maintain contact with your dissertation committee and Graduate Program Director throughout the semester for information and any changes in deadlines.
You must be registered for 999 during the semester in which you deposit your dissertation. The last day to register for summer 2023 is May 30, 2023 (please note that a late registration fee may apply).
Complete the following steps:
- By June 29th: File a Graduation Intent through the PatriotWeb system.
- Students should be familiar with all graduation policies contained on the Registrar's graduation website. Questions about graduation procedures can be directed to email@example.com.
- Update your current mailing address, phone number, and email address at PatriotWeb.
- By July 28th at 5:00 p.m.: Students completing dissertations are required to submit their documents for a format review to Sally Evans, the Dissertation and Thesis Coordinator in Fenwick library. She can be reached firstname.lastname@example.org. Formatting guidelines and submission information are available online.
- Insure all "IP" (In Progress) and "IN" (Incomplete) grades are resolved by the end of the semester.
- Select a defense date with your committee.
- At least 21 days prior to your defense date:
- Provide your department with the necessary information about your defense (your name, department, dissertation title, committee chairperson, date, time, and place of defense).
- Submit an electronic copy of your abstract to your department.
- To insure proper formatting of the signature page, e-mail a copy of your dissertation signature page to the CHSS Office of Graduate Academic Affairs at email@example.com. That office will review the formatting and inform you of any necessary changes (which should be made prior to your defense and the attainment of any committee member signatures).
- The due date for dissertation submission to Fenwick Library is Friday, August 4, 2023, by 5:00 p.m. Dissertations submitted after this date will qualify for fall 2023 degree conferral.
Electronic submission of the dissertation
- Email a PDF of your final dissertation to firstname.lastname@example.org prior to your Final Submission.
- One signature sheet signed (in black ink) by your committee, department chairperson, program director and the CHSS Associate Dean for Graduate Academic Affairs must be submitted to Sally Evans, the University Thesis and Dissertation Coordinator along with your dissertation.
- Once you have obtained the signatures of your committee and departmental administrators, your signature sheet and Embargo Request Form to the CHSS Office of Graduate Academic Affairs (email@example.com). Sally Evans will explain how to submit your Survey of Earned Doctorates and how to submit your dissertation to ProQuest.
- Mason has installed an Embargo Policy. With its addition, students will have the option to make their work in MARS available immediately or to delay its availability for 2 years, 5 years, or 10 years. Students who wish to embargo their documents will need to obtain signed, written permission from the chairs of their committees and the graduate deans of their colleges/schools. The Embargo Request Form will be submitted to UDTS at the time of Final Submission. We cannot embargo any work without signatures from both the committee chair and the dean.
If you are unable to finish your degree requirements in time to graduate in August 2023 you will need to file a new intent to graduate for fall 2023 at https://registrar.gmu.edu/students/graduation/.
Please contact the CHSS Office of Graduate Academic Affairs at 703.993.8864 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or need assistance.