Master's Graduation Checklist Summer 2023
The following checklist will help to guide you through the process of completing the requirements for degree conferral. You should refer to the graduation information on the Registrar's website and maintain contact with your thesis committee and Graduate Program Director throughout the semester for information and any changes in deadlines.
You must be registered during the semester in which you intend to graduate. For those students completing a thesis, you must be registered for at least 1 credit of 799. The last day to register for summer 2023 is May 30, 2023 (please note that a late registration fee may apply).
Complete the following steps:
- By June 29th:
- File a Graduation Intent through the PatriotWeb system.
- Update your current mailing address, phone number, and email address at Patriot Web.
- Ensure all "IP" (In Progress) and "IN" (Incomplete) grades are resolved by the end of the semester
For those students completing theses:
- By July 28th at 5:00 p.m.: Students completing theses are required to submit their documents for a format review to Sally Evans, the Dissertation and Thesis Coordinator in Fenwick library. She can be reached at or firstname.lastname@example.org. Formatting guidelines and submission information are available online.
- Select a defense date with your committee.
- To ensure proper formatting of the signature page, email a copy of your thesis signature page to the CHSS Office of Graduate Academic Affairs at email@example.com. That office will review the formatting and inform you of any necessary changes (which should be made prior to your defense and the attainment of any committee member signatures).
- The due date for thesis submission to Fenwick Library is Friday, August 4, 2023 by 5:00 p.m. Theses submitted after this date will qualify for fall 2023 degree conferral.
- Electronic submission of the thesis
- Email a PDF of your final thesis to firstname.lastname@example.org prior to your Final Submission appointment
- One signature sheet signed (in black ink) by your committee, department chairperson, and the CHSS Associate Dean for Graduate Academic Affairs must be submitted to University Thesis and Dissertation Services along with your thesis.
- Once you have obtained the signatures of your committee and departmental administrators, submit your signed signature sheet and Embargo Request Form) to the CHSS Office of Graduate Academic Affairs (email@example.com).
- Mason has installed an Embargo Policy. With its addition, students will have the option to make their work in MARS available immediately or to delay its availability for 2 years, 5 years, or 10 years. Students who wish to embargo their documents will need to obtain signed, written permission from the chairs of their committees and the graduate deans of their colleges/schools. The Embargo Request Form will be submitted to UDTS at the time of Final Submission. We cannot embargo any work without signatures from both the committee chair and the dean.
*It is the student's responsibility to ensure that all required approvals are obtained by the submission deadline and that required paperwork is included with the dissertation submission. The student is solely responsible for insuring that all necessary materials are submitted to the University Library by the submission deadline.
- Electronic submission of the thesis
If you are unable to finish your degree requirements in time to graduate in summer 2023, you will need to file a new intent to graduate for fall 2023 at http://registrar.gmu.edu/students/graduation/.
Please contact the CHSS Office of Graduate Academic Affairs at 703.993.8864 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or need assistance.