Doctoral Graduation Checklist Fall 2020
The following checklist will help to guide you through the process of completing the requirements for degree conferral. You should refer to the graduation information on the Registrar's website and maintain contact with your dissertation committee and Graduate Program Director throughout the semester for information and any changes in deadlines.
You must be registered for 999 during the semester in which you deposit your dissertation. The last day to register for fall 2020 is August 31, 2020 (please note that a late registration fee may apply).
Complete the following steps:
- By September 27th: File a Graduation Intent through the PatriotWeb system.
- Students should be familiar with the graduation process on the Registrar's website. Questions about graduation procedures can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Update your current mailing address, phone number, and email address at PatriotWeb.
- By November 30 at 5:00 PM: Students completing dissertations are required to submit their documents for a format review to Sally Evans, the Dissertation and Thesis Coordinator in Fenwick library. She can be reached at 703.993.2222 or email@example.com. Formatting guidelines and submission information are available online.
- Insure all "IP" (In Progress) and "IN" (Incomplete) grades are resolved by the end of the semester.
- Select a defense date with your committee.
- At least 21 days prior to your defense date:
- Provide your department with the necessary information about your defense (your name, department, dissertation title, committee chairperson, date, time, and place of defense).
- Submit an electronic copy of your abstract to your department.
- Provide the Fenwick Library Information Desk with a complete draft of your dissertation on regular copy paper.
- To insure proper formatting of the signature page, e-mail a copy of your dissertation signature page to the CHSS Office of Graduate Academic Affairs at firstname.lastname@example.org. That office will review the formatting and inform you of any necessary changes (which should be made prior to your defense and the attainment of any committee member signatures).
- The due date for dissertation submission to Fenwick Library is Friday, December 4, 2020, by 5:00 p.m. Dissertations submitted after this date will qualify for spring 2020 degree conferral.
Electronic submission of the dissertation
- Email a PDF of your final thesis to email@example.com prior to your Final Submission appointment, OR bring it to your appointment on a flash drive (which will be returned to you).
- One signature sheet signed (in black ink) by your committee, department chairperson, program director and the CHSS Associate Dean for Graduate Academic Affairs must be submitted to Sally Evans, the University Thesis and Dissertation Coordinator along with your dissertation. This signature sheet does not have to be printed on cotton bonded paper.
- Once you have obtained the signatures of your committee and departmental administrators, submit your PDF, your signature sheet, and all accompanying paperwork (Transmittal Sheet and Embargo Request Form) to the CHSS Office of Graduate Academic Affairs (Room D217, James Buchanan Hall).
- Mason has installed an Embargo Policy. With its addition, students will have the option to make their work in MARS available immediately or to delay its availability for 2 years, 5 years, or 10 years. Students who wish to embargo their documents will need to obtain signed, written permission from the chairs of their committees and the graduate deans of their colleges/schools. The Embargo Request Form will be submitted to UDTS at the time of Final Submission. We cannot embargo any work without signatures from both the committee chair and the dean.
If you are unable to finish your degree requirements in time to graduate in December 2020, you will need to file a new intent to graduate for May 2021. Please refer to the graduation timelines on the Registrar's website.
Please contact the CHSS Office of Graduate Academic Affairs at 703.993.8864 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or need assistance.