Research Administration Overview
This Research Administration Overview page is designed to keep you informed about how we submit applications for external grants, contracts, and fellowships (pre-award research administration); and how we provide management and support for externally funded awards (post-award research administration).
There are two key pieces to Research Administration:
- RAMP (Research Administration Management Portal) is our university system for data related to proposals, grants management, conflict of interest, export control, institutional animal care and use, and institutional review board (IRB) for the protection of human subjects. See https://ramp.gmu.edu for RAMP information and training.
- Research Administration staff within CHSS (Pre-Award Research Administrators) work with investigators to submit grant proposals through the university, and Post-Award Research Administrators work with investigators and department/center staff once their proposals are funded. These positions are located in the Dean's Office.
The Pre-Award Research Administration team is led by Ms. Rashmi Pershad, Associate Director, who reports to Dr. Michele Schwietz, Associate Dean for Research. Meet our Pre-Award Research Administrators Gina Han and Loralin Welch here.
Please send any questions regarding pre-award research administration to CHSSPreA@gmu.edu.
The Post-Award Research Administration team, under the direction of Janice Cohen, Director of Finance and Research Operations, and Olga Shchepina, Associate Director of Post Award Services, are complemented by two additional Post Award Research Administrators, Anthony DeMaio and Kenny Santos. The Post-Award team is part of the larger CHSS Finance team led by Kim Dight, CHSS's Chief Business Officer.
CHSS Post Award and RAMP:
- All externally sponsored project award notices are processed in RAMP.
- PIs will receive an email notification from RAMP once the award is fully activated in Banner with a fund number (20xxxx or 22xxxx) established.
- PIs and/or research administrators will need to request Post Award Modifications (e.g. Subaward creation, NCE, budget revision, change in scope) through RAMP.
- All award financial activity occurs through Banner (RAMP is not used for managing financial transactions). Financial reports are maintained and accessed through PI Reports.