Renewal, Promotion and Tenure
The promotion and tenure process is one of the most important tasks that faculty undertake in an institution of higher education, and follows the principles in sections 2.4 through 2.7 of the Faculty Handbook. Over the last two years, representatives from the Provost Office and Colleges/Schools have collaborated to make the guidelines for renewal, promotion, and tenure accessible online in a detailed format.
In each Department/Program within CHSS, the Chairs/Directors are responsible for:
- Managing the reviews within the department;
- Making their own recommendations;
- Maintaining full dossiers on each candidate; and
- Ensuring complete materials are electronically submitted to the Dean for further review.
Interfolio’s Renewal, Promotion & Tenure (RPT) System
In support of the renewal, promotion, and tenure process, Mason has invested in Interfolio’s Renewal, Promotion & Tenure (RPT) content management system. The Renewal, Promotion & Tenure (RPT) tool automates existing workflows and processes for faculty renewal, promotion, and tenure into a unified content management system. This streamlines the RPT experience for candidates and reviewers at all levels within one secure and configurable system.
CHSS faculty and administrators can review the most recent version of the college’s Guidelines for Promotion and Tenure here.
Renewal, Promotion, and Tenure Cycle AY2023-2024
Please visit the links below to find the college timelines and required documents for each review cycle.
- Tenure-track 3rd Year Renewal (CHSS timeline and requirements document here)
- Term Promotion (CHSS timeline and requirements document here)
- Term Multi-Year Contract (CHSS timeline and requirements document here)
- Tenure and/or Promotion (CHSS timeline and requirements document here)
Please note that each department/program can request that candidate materials be submitted at an earlier date than the college's stated deadline. Be sure to consult with your department chair or program director for your unit's specific deadline.
Departments should also be familiar with the Provost's Office Guidance on RPT Review Committees and External Referees.
For questions related to Promotion and/or Tenure, Tenure-upon-hire, tenure-Track 3rd Year Renewal, or Term Promotion, please contact Jenna McGwin, Director of Operations and Initiatives.
For questions related to term faculty multi-year contract requests, please contact Joan Mlotkowski, HR Coordinator.