International Academic Credentials - Translations and Evaluation

Official Translations

If a faculty member earned an academic degree from a foreign institution and the transcript and/or diploma was issued in a language other than english, the faculty member must also submit a translation of the documents from an official, certified translator or translation service.  

Per George Mason University Policy 3005:  "The faculty member is responsible for providing a certified third-party translation of the transcript and diploma for any international degrees."

Embassies and foreign language faculty (unless certified independently) are not considered certified translators. For information on qualified translators in your area, please contact the American Translators Association
( or another recognized translation service such as University Language Service

Evaluation of International Degrees

Per the Provost's office, if an instructor earned an academic degree from a foreign institution, the instructor must provide an official evaluation of the international academic credential from a credential evaluation agency approved by the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) or the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO).