Multiple national college rankings released in recent weeks have placed George Mason University among America’s top 50 public universities, top 100 among all public and private institutions, and Virginia’s No. 1 university for social mobility.
Released earlier this week, U.S. News & World Report Best Colleges 2024 ranks Mason at #51 among all public universities and #105 among all universities nationwide. Mason retains its top 20 ranking position for innovation and improved to a top 50 (#49) university for veterans, according to these national rankings.
Several degree programs in the College of Humanities and Social Sciences earned high-profile rankings. U.S. News & World Report ranked Mason’s graduate program in Criminology as the best in Virginia (#10 nationally), while the Industrial-Organization Psychology graduate program came in at #4 among public universities and #5 nationally. Mason’s undergraduate programs in Psychology and Economics also earned top national rankings, coming in at #67 and #99 respectively.
“It’s exciting to see Mason recognized on the national stage for our successes as an access-oriented public research university, and I am both grateful to and really proud of how our College’s faculty contribute to this institution’s student success outcomes and reputation for opening the aperture of opportunity for all of the University’s learners,” said Ann Ardis, Dean of the College of Humanities and Social Sciences. “At this moment in American history, as confidence in higher education as a public good is increasingly in question or under attack, and as public perceptions of the value of a college degree relative to its cost continue to shift, it’s important to remember our fundamental purpose: we are here in service to our students’ education. We are here to engage them in the kinds of high-impact discovery learning experiences that can change the trajectory of their lives, and the lives of their families.”
U.S. News & World Report
- Economics (43 among publics/99 nationally)
- Psychology (36 among publics/67 nationally)
- Clinical Psychology (74 among publics/101 nationally)
- Criminology (10 among publics/best in VA/10 nationally)
- English (62 among publics/99 nationally)
- Industrial-Organization Psychology (4 among publics/5 nationally)
- Psychology (47/80)
- Sociology (57/84)
National Science Foundation
- Social Sciences (8 among publics/11 nationally/best in the DMV)
Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Ed
- Humanities (30 among publics/46 nationally)
Academic Rankings of World Universities (Shanghai Rankings)
- Psychology (43 among publics/68 nationally)
- Sociology (48 among publics/71 nationally)
- Economics (17 among publics/best in Virginia/38 nationally)
- Communication (40 among publics/best in Virginia/49 nationally)
September 22, 2023