College of Humanities and Social Sciences

College of Humanities and Social Sciences


Highly-qualified Mason undergraduates may apply to the accelerated master’s degree program and obtain both bachelor’s and master’s degrees in history after satisfactory completion of 144 credits. The BA and MA earned separately require 120 and 30 credits respectively. Well-prepared undergraduates are encouraged to apply when they have completed between 75 and 90 credits. If accepted into the program, they must have completed 90 credits including HIST 300 with a minimum grade of B+ before they can enter the program.

Interested students should contact the Director of Undergraduate Programs for details about the application process.

Degree Requirements (Catalog Year 2013-2014)

Applicants accepted to the accelerated MA program must have completed 90 credits including HIST 300 with a minimum grade of B+ as a condition of entry into the program.

While undergraduate students, accelerated master's students complete the two graduate courses (6 credits) indicated on their Accelerated Master's Program Application with a minimum grade of 3.00 in each course. These credits cannot replace HIST 499. They must maintain a minimum GPA of 3.00 in all coursework and in coursework applied to their major. On completion and conferral of the undergraduate degree in the semester indicated in the application, they submit the Bachelor's/Accelerated Master's Transition Form and are admitted to graduate status.

As graduate students, accelerated master's students have an advanced standing. They must meet all master's degree requirements except for the two courses (6 credits) they completed as undergraduates. Students must begin their master's program the semester immediately following conferral of the undergraduate degree.

Reserve Graduate Credit

Students may take up to 6 additional graduate credits as reserve graduate credit. These credits do not apply to the undergraduate degree. The ability to take courses for reserve graduate credit is available to all high achieving undergraduates with the permission of the department. Permission to take a graduate course for reserve graduate credit is normally granted only to Mason seniors within 15 hours of graduation.

To apply these credits to the master's degree, students must request that the credits be moved from the undergraduate degree to the graduate degree using the Bachelor's/Accelerated Master's Transition Form.

Requirements may be different for earlier catalog years. See the University Catalog archives.

Print Friendly and PDF