How to Transfer Coursework Completed at Another University

Students who have previously completed coursework at another University and wish to apply that coursework to a Mason degree should carefully review the university policies governing transfer of credit (scroll to AP.6.5.3).

Students interested in requesting a transfer of credit should complete the Graduate Transfer of Credit Request form and set up a meeting with their Graduate Program Director. Students must provide the department/program with a copy of the official transcript showing the courses to be transferred along with the request form. It is also helpful for the student to provide a copy of the syllabus and any other information about the course (e.g., copies of the catalog or course description from the university website). Graduate Transfer of Credit Requests will not be approved or processed without the student’s official transcript. 

Once the Graduate Program Director has approved and signed the Graduate Transfer of Credit Request, it will be forwarded to the CHSS Office of Graduate Academic Affairs for further review.  If approved by the Dean, the form will be sent to the Registrar’s Office for processing.

The credits should show on the student’s PatriotWeb transcript approximately one week after the transfer request reaches the Registrar’s Office. For newly admitted students, transfer of credit requests will not be processed until after the last day to drop in the first semester of enrollment (approximately six weeks into the semester).