How to Request a Reduction of Credit (Doctoral and MFA Programs Only)

Students with a post-baccalaureate degree (master’s or juris doctor) interested in receiving a reduction of credit towards their doctoral program should review the university policies governing reduction of credit in the University Catalog.  Qualified students should set up a meeting with their Graduate Program Director to discuss the specifics of their request. The Graduate Program Director will complete the Reduction of Credit Form.

Students must provide the department/program with a copy of the official transcript showing conferral of the previous graduate degree. If the reduction of credit is approved by the student’s program, the appropriate paperwork will be sent to the CHSS Office of Graduate Academic Affairs for review.  If approved by the dean, the form will be sent to the Registrar’s Office for processing. Students should monitor their PatriotWeb record to verify when the credits have been posted to their transcript.