Concerned about a Student?

  • If the student is an immediate threat to self or others, call 911.
  • If you are concerned that the student might be a threat to self or others in a way that involves the student code of conduct, but there is no immediate threat, or if there is some issue related to student conduct (e.g., selling drugs) that arises, contact the Student Support and Advocacy Center.
  • If you are concerned about a student who is facing significant problems (depression, drug abuse, struggling with loss, etc.) direct the student to the Student Support and Advocacy Center. Students who are a threat to self or seem threatening to others, but who do not clearly violate some element of the code of conduct, are also properly referred to this office.
    • You can also direct students with emotional or psychological issues to Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS).  Note that once students are referred to CAPS, that office will not, as a rule, be able to report back on anything related to the student, including whether the student is seeing someone at CAPS.
    • It's a good idea in serious cases to let the Student Support and Advocacy Center know that you've sent a student to CAPS, since CAPS cannot reach out to the student or report back to you.
  • For after-hours emergencies, the university police (911) have a counselor on call.  They can also help out in other emergency situations, and are the best office to contact after hours.
  • Click on the links to the right for further, more detailed advice about addressing students of concern.