Term Faculty Development Grants
In order to support the teaching of our teaching term faculty, the College of Humanities and Social Sciences has created a development fund to recognize and assist in the work of faculty who serve a crucial function in educating our students.
Individual faculty members with continuing term appointments may apply.
Consultation with your unit head is recommended prior to applying.
Funding $35,000 per year:
- Maximum of $3000 per individual per academic year.
- Awards will be granted Fall and Spring of each academic year
- Independent research related to teaching assignments
- Development of teaching skills through seminars and workshops
- Stipends to support new courses (expenses and/or summer support)
- One-page request from the term faculty member that outlines and justifies the request, and shows both its intrinsic value and its relationship to the teaching assignment at Mason.
- CV – maximum 2 pages
- Confidential recommendation from unit head that addresses the project and its relevance to teaching assignment.
- Budget request with explanation for each item. If your detailed budget includes wages or faculty stipends, be sure to include budget for the 7.5% fringe benefits.
- Applications will be accepted for review twice yearly.
- Deadline for spring review is 1 May
- Deadline for fall review is 1 December
- Applications will be reviewed by the Senior Leadership Committee and the Dean
- Results will be announced within 60 days of deadline
- Both the chair’s recommendation and the faculty’s application are to submitted electronically to Jenna McGwin, at firstname.lastname@example.org