College of Humanities and Social Sciences
College of Humanities and Social Sciences

Frequently Asked Questions

What is my G-Number? Where can I find it?

Your G# is an unique number assigned to all applicants by confirmation email within one or two days after submitting your application. If you do not receive an email confirmation within two days after submitting an application, check your spam folder.


What is Mason's institution code for the GRE and TOEFL exams?

Mason's institution code for standardized tests (GRE and TOEFL) is 5827


What is the minimum score I need for on the GRE?

GRE scores are part of the whole application.  Departments vary in how they incorporate the scores in the application review.  Contact the academic department to learn if there are any guidelines for your program of interest. Department Contacts


What transcripts are required to complete my application? 

Fall 2016 and beyond:  Applicants for Fall 2016 admission and beyond with degrees from US institutions are asked to upload scanned unofficial transcripts as part of the application process.   If admitted, applicants are required to submit official, final transcripts prior to the last day to add/drop courses in their first semester or they are withdrawn by the university.

Due to the evaluation process, applicants with international credentials must submit original documents to the Office of Graduate Admissions, 4400 University Drive, MSN 4C8, 245 Johnson Center, Fairfax, VA 22030 as part of the application process.

Please see International Transcript Submission Guidelines for more information.


How do I submit electronic transcripts?

Official electronic transcripts for those institutions participating should be directed to Please do not request electronic transcripts more than 2 weeks prior to submitting your online application as this may result in a delay in processing.


I have applied to Mason before. Do I need to submit new official transcripts?

Possibly.  If you have applied, been accepted, and attended Mason in the past five years, the transcripts you submitted are probably archived. You will only need to provide updated official transcripts if you have completed additional work or have earned a new degree at another institution. If you applied to a graduate program over one year ago and were not accepted, you must provide official transcripts.


I emailed the CHSS Graduate Admission Office. When should I expect a reply?

We attempt to answer email inquiries within two business days.  During the peak application processing period from December to March a reply may take longer. Please be patient. We are answering inquiries in turn and as soon as we are able.

I am a current/former Mason student. Do I need to submit an official transcript?

NO.  You do not need to submit a Mason transcript.


I was unable to pay the application fee online. How can I pay it?

The application fee can be paid by personal check, money order, or credit card.  Mason only accepts Mastercard and Visa and cannot accept Discover or American Express. We cannot accept cash. Submit payment by check or money order to:

CHSS Graduate Admissions
Mason Hall, 217
George Mason University 
4400 University Drive, MS 2D2 
Fairfax, VA 22030-4444

Please include your name, G#, program and term of application with your payment.

If you would like to pay by credit card, please email for instructions.


Do I need to submit transcripts from my study abroad courses?

NO as long as the coursework appears on your official transcripts from your home institution.


I was not able to upload supporting documents with my online application. How can I submit these?

If you have already submitted an application, you may send supporting documents (e.g. resume, writing sample, goals statement) as email attachments to  Please include your name, G#, program and term of application in your email. 


How do I submit recommendation letters with my application?

The online graduate application allows referees to submit confidential letters of recommendation by email. You will be prompted to provide the names and email addresses of your referees as you complete your application.  Should the referees experience any difficulty submitting a letter, please contact our office at  


Can I apply to multiple programs for the same term?

Yes, you can apply to multiple programs for the same academic term. You are required to pay the application fee for each application submitted. Test scores are submittted directly to the university and can be shared across multiple applications. Transcripts and letters of recommendation can often be shared across applications. Graduate Admissions at George Mason University is decentralized, so please contact the appropriate Graduate Admissions office for details.


How do I find out if I am eligible for in-state tuition rates?

Applicants may complete an Application for In-State Tuition Rates form as part of the online application process. For more information see the Virginia In-state Tuition Eligibility (Domicile) section of the University Registrar's website. 


Print Friendly and PDF